The OpenAI ChatGPT has been making headlines for its incredible language processing capabilities and ability to carry on natural language conversations with users.
However, many people are finding that they cannot purchase ChatGPT due to a card declined error. Most people are reporting on OpenAI forums and reddit that they can’t purchase as their credit, debit and other cards are getting declined.
This is a common issue faced by many people, especially those residing outside the USA, like India, Germany, Switzerland, and others. But what’s the reason? Let’s find out.
Reasons Why Your Card is Getting Declined on OpenAi
There can be various reasons due to which you card might be getting declined if you’re trying to purchase ChatGPT or other OpenAi’s products.
However, as the customer support of OpenAi is not responding, here’s our take on the reason.
Reason #1. Indian Banking Law
One of the major reasons why Indian residents are not able to purchase ChatGPT is due to a new banking law that came into effect in October 2021.
According to this law, Indian credit cards cannot be used for recurring payments without the e-mandate setting.
While this may be a security measure to prevent fraudulent transactions, it has caused problems for Indians trying to purchase subscriptions from international businesses, including Open AI.
Reason #2. Stripe Payment Error
Another reason for the card declined error could be due to an error in the payment gateway, specifically Stripe.
Stripe is a popular payment processor used by Open AI and many other businesses worldwide. However, due to various reasons like technical glitches or maintenance work, the payment gateway could be temporarily down, resulting in a failed transaction.
Reason #3. Unavailability of ChatGPT 4 in Certain Countries
Open AI may have restricted the sale of ChatGPT 4 in certain countries due to various reasons like legal requirements, licensing issues, or lack of demand.
If you try to buy ChatGPT 4 from one of these countries and get the error message “Card Declined,” it’s possible that Open AI hasn’t made it available for sale in your area.
If you want to buy ChatGPT 4, you should definitely turn off your VPN. Some people have said that when they did this, they were able to pay successfully.
Reason #4. Tax Calculation Problems
If you’re experiencing a “card declined” error while attempting to purchase ChatGPT, it’s possible that there might be a tax calculation problem.
There could be a discrepancy between the total amount being charged and the amount your financial institution expects.
When you make a purchase, the total amount usually includes the product’s cost, and any additional charges such as sales tax or VAT, depending on your location.
If there is an issue with the tax calculation, it might result in an incorrect total charge, causing your card to be declined.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Check your billing information: Make sure your billing address and other details are correct and up to date, as this information is used to calculate the applicable taxes.
- Verify the total charge: Ensure that the total amount, including taxes, matches what you expect to be charged. If you notice any discrepancies, contact the ChatGPT support team to clarify the issue.
What Can You Do About It?
If you’re facing the card declined error while trying to purchase ChatGPT, there are a few things you can try. The first method will work almost every time.
- Install ChatGPT for Mobile that’s officially built by OpenAI. You can click the link to install IOS version. After installing the app, just click the three dots on the top right corner, click Settings > Subscription and then purchase ChatGPT 4. You can access this on any device.
- You can check with your bank to ensure that your card has not been blocked for international transactions.
- You can also try using a different payment method like Apple Pay, which is currently working for USA residents.
- You can try signing in from another browser and clearing your cache.
- Also, try turning off your WiFi router for about three minutes and then logging back into ChatGPT. You could try to buy it, it might help.
- Using a VPN will not work, so you should add the right address and a pincode that is close to you. For example, one person on reddit said that he was able to buy the ChatGPT plus when he put in the right pincode.
- Even though ChatGPT support isn’t very helpful, we still think you should email them at [email protected].
ChatGPT 4 is Now Available For Purchase
The reason why ChatGPT 4 was showing a “Your Card Has Been Declined” error was because in some countries, OpenAi was not able to calculate taxes.
Today, almost everyone trying in India and Germany was able to purchase ChatGPT 4 as it’s now able to calculate the taxes on the amount of purchase.
So yes, now you will not see any error or 1020 error code while purchasing Open Ai’s GPT 4.
Alternative Option: Using Microsoft Bing
If you’re unable to purchase ChatGPT 4 due to the aforementioned reasons, there is still an alternative option for you to experience the latest version of Open AI’s GPT model. Bing, Microsoft’s search engine, is powered by GPT-4 and can be accessed for free by anyone with an internet connection.
While Bing may not offer the full functionality of ChatGPT, it is still a great way to test out the latest advancements in language modeling and see how GPT-4 performs in a real-world application.
Simply go to Bing’s website and start by clicking on “Chat” to experience the power of GPT-4 for yourself.
The Open AI ChatGPT card declined error can be caused due to various reasons, including Indian banking laws, Stripe payment errors, or unavailability in certain countries.
Even though these problems can be frustrating, they can be fixed by trying different ways to pay or by getting in touch with customer service.
If any of the above steps worked well for you, let other people know what worked for you by leaving a comment below.
Read more about ChatGPT: